srImathE satakOpAya nama:
srImathE rAmAnujAya nama:
srImadh varavaramunayE nama:
parAngusa archchAgrabhUtham srIthAmrasalilOthbhavam
bhavishyadhAchAryamAgyAtham svEthAmbharadharam bhajE
anantha: prathamam rUpam lakshmaNasthu thatha:param
balabadhra: thruthIyasthU kalau kaschith bhavishyathi
- First he appears as ananthan (the boundless – since the boundless emperumAn himself is held by Adhi sEshan he is also called as ananthan). Adhi sEshan servesemperumAn by facilitating emperumAn‘syOga nidhrA (constant meditation byemperumAn to uplift the samsAris).
- In thrEthA yugam, when emperumAn appears as srI rAma, Adhi sEshan appears as lakshmaNan. iLaya perumAL (lakshmaNa) accompanied srI rAma and sIthA pirAtti and constantly served them.
- In dhvApara yugam, when emperumAn appears as krishNa, Adhi sEshan appears as balarAman. balarAman being the elder brother of krishNa, constantly took care of krishNa during his child hood pastimes in vrindhAvan.
- In kali yugam, Adhi sEshan appears as bhavishyadhAchAryan (emperumAnAr – srI rAmAnuja). emperumAn‘s archAvathAram is the pinnacle of his various forms ofemperumAn and AzhwArs‘ dhivya prabhandhams are the pinnacle of various pramANams. emperumAnAr appeared and firmly established the glories of archAvathAram in dhivya dhEsams and AzhwArs‘ dhivya prabhandhams. He regulated the temple worship, ensured that all types of people are shown the path for upliftment and are engaged in kainkaryam (service to bhagavAn and bhAgavathas) in one form or another.
poliga poliga poliga pOyiRRu valluyirch sAbam
naliyum naragamum naindha namanukku ingu yAdhonRum illai
kaliyum kedum kaNdu koNmin
kadalvaNNan bUdhangaL maN mEl maliyap pugundhu isai pAdi Adi uzhi tharak kaNdOm
பொலிக பொலிக பொலிக போயிற்று வல்லுயிர்ச் சாபம்
நலியும் நரகமும் நைந்த நமனுக்கு இங்கு யாதொன்றும் இல்லை
கலியும் கெடும் கண்டு கொண்மின்
கடல்வண்ணன் பூதங்கள் மண் மேல் மலியப் புகுந்து இசை பாடி ஆடி உழி தரக் கண்டோம்
Simple translation: I have witnessed the singing and dancing of abundance of bhAgavathas who are totally surrendered to bhagavAn who is most potent like the sea (which is filled with pearls, etc) and is most beautiful in sea-like bluish hue. Because of these bhAgavathas, the ignorance in the mind of people is vanquished. Since the ignorance is gone, there is no work for yama and his servants who punish the ignorants at hellish regions. The underlying reason which is the defects of kali yugam is also gone. Let this auspiciousness stay for ever.
nammAzhwAr is considered as the foremost of AzhwArs. He is declared byyAmunAchArya (ALavandhAr) as kula pathi (the leader of vaishNava clan).nammAzhwAr appeared in AzhwAr thirunagari as the son of kAri and udaya nangai. They named him kArimARan. When kArimARan was a toddler, he was not eating anything. His parents brought him to Adhi nAthan temple in AzhwAr thirungari and placed AzhwAr in front of perumAL. AzhwAr quickly crawled from there and reached the divine tamarind tree nearby and settled in the hole in the tree and started meditating on emperumAn. He never spoke to anyone since that time.
nammAzhwAr – madhurakavi AzhwAr
Years later, when madhurakavi AzhwAr was in ayOdhyA, he noticed a shining light down south. He followed the light and finally reached AzhwAr thirungari. He locatednammAzhwAr in the tamarind tree and after understanding nammAzhwAr‘s glories, became a dear disciple of nammAzhwAr and spent his time serving him.
When nammAzhwAr was about to ascend to paramapadham, madhurakavi AzhwAr requests for an archA vigraham from nammAzhwAr. nammAzhwAr instructsmadhurakavi AzhwAr to boil the water from thamirabharaNi river to acquire an archA vigraham. madhurakavi AzhwAr obliges and boils the water from the river. As a result, he gets an archA vigraham with anjali mudhrai and thridhaNdam (the 3 sticks that are carried by sannyAsis). madhurakavi AzhwAr, being surprised, says to nammAzhwAr ”I was expecting a vigraham with upadhEsa mudhrai, but we now have a vigraham with anjali mudhrai and thridhaNdam. Who is this divine person?” and nammAzhwAr replies “This is the AchAryan who will appear in the future for the upliftment of entire world. You preserve/worship this vigraham for the future. You continue to boil the water again to get my archA vigraham”. madhurakavi AzhwAr again boils the water and subsequently acquires the nammAzhwAr archA vigraham that is worshipped in AzhwAr thirunagari. The bhavishyadhAchAryan vigraham was buried under the divine tamarind tree by madhurakavi AzhwAr at that time.
emperumAnAr – thiruvAimozhi piLLai – mAmunigaL
This bhavishyadhAchAryan vigraham was subsequently located by thiruvAimozhi piLLai who resurrected AzhwAr thirunagari town and re-established the temple norms. The whole town was vacated by srIvaishNavas during the time of islamic invaders targetting many temples. nammAzhwAr‘s archA vigraham was carried to safe locations in kEraLA and stayed there. When thiruvAimozhi piLLai helped bring back nammAzhwAr to AzhwAr thirunagari, he cleared the forested area, excavated the temple and re-builds the same. At that time, thiruvAimozhi piLLai finds the bhavishyadhAchAryan vigraham also. He builds a separate temple for bhavishyadhAchAryan (emperumAnAr) in the western part of AzhwAr thirunagari and also builds a chathur vEdhi mangalam (4 streets) around the temple. 11 families were identified and given the kainkaryam of participating and helping in this temple kainkaryams.
thiruvEnkatamudaiyAn speaks through his archakar (priest) and orders that the thirumalai jIyar swamy goes to AzhwAr thirunagari bhavishyadhAchAryan sannidhi, stays there and lead the kainkaryams at the temple and participate in Adhi nAthan/nammAzhwAr temple kainkaryams too.
maNavALa mAmunigaL, who is emperumAnAr himself, appears in AzhwAr thirunagari. He eventually becomes a disciple of thiruvAimozhi piLLai. mAmunigaL himself worshipped emperumAnAr in this bhavishyadhAchAryan sannidhi and compiled yathirAja vimsathi (divine 20 slOkams in full glorification of srI rAmAnuja) during his times here. Due to his great attachment towards emperumAnAr, he comes to be called as yathIndhra pravaNar. Just like srI rAma himself worshipped periya perumAL (srIman nArAyaNan) in his thiruvArAdhanam, mAmunigaL himself worshipped emperumAnAr to demonstrate how he should be worshipped. It is stated in the vAzhi thirunAmam (glorificatory verses) of 7th pattam jIyar (sadagOpa rAmAnuja jIyar) that azhagiya maNavALa mAmunivan accepted sannyAsasramam from him.
Thus, this AzhwAr thirunagari is greatly significant for it being the birth place of nammAzhwAr, emperumAnAr (bhavishyadhAchAryan) and maNavALa mAmunigaL. This bhavishyadhAchAryan sannidhi is also of great significance, since the bhavishyadhAchAryan archA vigraham is as ancient as nammAzhwAr himself and appeared even before the appearance of nammAzhwAr‘s archA vigraham.
Since the first jIyar who arrived from thirumalai, there have been 41 jIyars (including first jIyar) as on date. This bhavishyadhAchAryan temple is under the control of the jIyar swamy of the emperumAnAr jIyar mutt who is the heriditary trustee for this temple. This temple is locally called affectionately as “udayavar kOyil” (srI rAmAnuja‘s temple). Currently, srImath paramahamsa ithyAdhi ranga rAmAnuja jIyar is the AchAryan in the mutt. During the time of previous jIyar swamy, srImath paramahamsa ithyAdhi dhEvarAja rAmAnuja jIyar, the temple and mutt underwent a grand/full samprOkshaNam after a very long time. The whole temple and mutt acquired a grand new look while preserving the ancient ambience. Current jIyar swamy is involved in engaging many devotees in emperumAn, nammAzhwAr and emperumAnAr kainkaryams.
|srImath paramahamsa ithyAdhi dhEvarAja rAmAnuja jIyar (40th pattam – previous jIyar)||srImath paramahamsa ithyAdhi ranga rAmAnuja jIyar (41st pattam – current jIyar)|
Interactions/mutual visits between AthinAthar/AzhwAr temple, bhavishyadhAchAryan temple and other temples
- emperumAnAr visits nammAzhwAr during several occassions of the year.
- perumAL, thAyArs, nammAzhwAr and other AchAryas also visit emperumAnAr throughout the year on several occassions.
- nammAzhwAr and emperumAnAr enjoy thirumanjanam during a few occassions together.
- AzhwAn, piLLai lOkAchAryar and vEdhAnthAchAryar perform mangaLAsAsanam to emperumAnAr on their thirunakshathram days.
- mAmunigaL performs mangaLAsAsanam to emperumAnAr on aippasi thirumUlam.
We request all srIvaishNavas who are visiting AzhwAr thirunagari dhivyadhEsam to come and have the divine dharshan of bhavishyadhAchAryan and current jIyar swamy as well and be divinely blessed.
- Compiled based on the 6000 padi guru paramparA prabhAvam, yathIndhra pravaNa prabhAvam and “emperumAnAr thirukkOyil varalARu” book written by srI u. vE. M R Ramanuja iyengar.
- emperumAnAr as bhavishyadhAchAryan is explained in detail in grantham named charamOpAya nirNayam by nAyanArAchAn piLLai (adopted son of periyavAchAn piLLai). Though the particular archA vigraham discussed in that grantham is a different one that is present in thirukkOttiyUr – the principle of emperumAnAr being the bhavishyadhAchAryan (future AchAryan) is the same.